Wednesday 22 August 2012

NDLEA Impounds Pipes Concealing N27 million Worth Of Drugs


A 26-year old Anambra state born phone accessories dealer, Afunaya Thaddeus Izunna was intercepted by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at Murtala Mohammed international airport with 8.5 kilograms of methamphetamine.
The suspect concealed the drugs inside metal pipes found in his possession during the screening of passengers on Ethiopian airline flight to New Delhi, India.

The drugs worth N27 million were discovered when anti-narcotic officers insisted on searching the metal pipes inside his luggage.

Confirming the arrest and seizure, NDLEA Commander at the airport, Mr. Hamza Umar said the drug with a total weight of 8.5 kilograms is one of the highest seizures recently recorded at the Lagos airport.

Answering reporters’ questions, Izunna said he is married with 2 children, saying, his role in the criminal act was to deliver the drugs.

He said “I am a trader. I sell phone accessories at Ikeja to take care of my wife and two children. It was a friend that gave me the metal pipes that I should take them to India for a fee. I did not know when, how and where it was packed. I was only given the bag containing the pipes. Unfortunately, when I got to the airport during screening, NDLEA officers discovered the drug and I was arrested. This is my first time of smuggling drugs. I hope my wife will understand and forgive me.”

Chairman and chief executive of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade expressed delight over the arrest and seizure describing it as a good signal, adding, “This is a spectacular seizure because the drug was carefully concealed in a way that makes detection difficult. The significance is that a warning signal has been sent to the enemy camp that one of their best tricks is not good enough. This has been my position and order to the officers that drugs should be intercepted regardless of the mode of concealment. The suspect will soon be charged to court,” Giade said.

No comments: